What Makes Dental Crowns Ideal for Your Natural Teeth
Do you have broken or cracked teeth? If so, there are various therapeutic approaches that your dentist can recommend you to undergo. Porcelain bridges and crowns for teeth can be an ideal solution for you since they reinforce your weakened tooth and enable it to regain its natural functionalities. A tooth crown is an effective and long-lasting solution in protecting your tooth structure and restoring your aesthetic smile.
The dental cap is cemented on your damaged tooth to protect it from further decay. It’s made of durable material, and it replicates the form of your adjacent natural teeth. The dentist near you can customize a crown that matches your tooth size and shape to ensure it perfectly fits your dental. It would be suitable to visit the dentist near you and undergo the restorative procedure if you have a damaged or severely decayed tooth.
What’s a Dental Crown?
A tooth crown refers to a custom-made, restorative cap that’s placed on your damaged natural tooth. It’s cemented over your tooth to protect the affected portion of your tooth that’s above the gum line. Crowns are also used once you have undergone an implant procedure, and they are supported by a titanium rod that’s surgically inserted into your jaw bone.
During your dental appointment, our specialist does a dental examination to determine whether you are an ideal candidate for a crown, and below are some of the conditions that make you fit for a tooth crown:
- A weakened tooth due to cracks and require reinforcement to prevent it from breaking
- Restoration of worn out or broken tooth due to clenching
- Replacement of old loose or broken fillings
- To cover your dental implant.
- For cosmetic modifications, including sealing gaps between your teeth or reshaping the teeth
- Holding dental bridges in position
- Supporting a tooth that holds a large filling and the natural tooth structure is weakened.
Your dentist may recommend you have a tooth crown to restore strength to your tooth that has undergone root canal therapy. A tooth crown enhances your tooth appearance and protects it from further damage. Missing a tooth or having gapped teeth can lead to shifting and malocclusions. If the underlying dental issues are not addressed, your jaw bone may deteriorate, and you may suffer from TMJ disorders. It’s essential to fix dental gaps in your dentition and avoid dental complications.
What the Procedure of Having a Tooth Crown Involves
During your initial visit, your specialist examines your affected tooth by performing X-rays to check on the condition of your tooth roots and your jaw bone before the placement of your crown. If your tooth is severely decayed, your dentist may recommend you to undertake root canal therapy before the crown placement procedure. Local anesthesia is administered to numb your affected tooth, and it’s reshaped to provide room for the crown.
If a large portion is missing due to damage or decay, dental fillings can support the crown. Your tooth impressions are taken to ensure that the crown fits perfectly on your dental. The crown is custom-made based on your preferences for your dental outcomes. It’s molded to take shape and shade of your natural tooth.
Taking Care of Your Crowns
At Palmieri Dentistry, we recommend you to take care of your teeth crowns to enhance longevity, and below are some useful tips you need to follow:
- Floss regularly to keep your crowns healthy.
- Brush your teeth with recommended toothpaste to avoid sensitivity
- Avoid chewing hard foods that may cause cracks on your teeth crowns.
- Put on nightguards if you unintentionally clench your teeth.
- Take special care of temporary crowns before having permanent crowns and avoid taking sticky foods.
- Make regular visits to the dentist near you for an assessment of your crowns.
Crowns can serve you for a long time based on how well you preserve them. It’s essential to maintain acceptable oral hygiene practices. Please ensure you avoid clenching your teeth while having teeth crowns, which may lead to wearing out. You can preserve your permanent natural tooth by having a crown. Having dental crowns in Mooresville, NC is a same-day procedure, and you shouldn’t hesitate to make an appointment with us today!